Wednesday 26 January 2011

Why should I do all the recovery demands?

What’s my motivation? The answer is this: Remember how much your addiction hurt. If you don’t do the work, your addiction will bleed through a thousand wounds all over again. What we know is that active addiction hurts every time. The consequences get worse and our lives fall apart. We make excuses but that is our old enemy denial just getting in the way one more time. Your addiction is out in the parking lot doing push ups. It is cunning, baffling, powerful and very patient. I relapse because I fail to remember the pain that addiction costs me. The cost goes up each time I relapse. What happens is that I forget. I forget the price I would have to pay.

Think of your last relapse:

What happened?

What is the lesson?

Forgetting about the cost of relapse is not like forgetting a phone number. It is like playing Russian roulette. We got complacent and careless. We began to listen to our addiction talking to us. We forget what addiction costs us when we allow the addcition to take over one more time. The nature of addiction is suffering, pain, loss, waste and tragedy.

No one relapses without first forgetting the cost!

Take the sick and tired moment as being the moment of change and learn to never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment